Key principles of the LivingPower technology
A LivingPower system offers the following unique features:
- Power converters can work in one of two directions (programmable)
- Power converters can work as rectifiers, inverters (or DC/DC converters)
- Power converters may be re-connected – from one input/output to another input/output (so-called zones).
An operating system controls the system intelligence:
- Identifies which modules that are available in the system
- Determines the function of each power module
- Determines the “position” of each power module.
The Operating system controls the dynamic change among various system configurations based on
- User demand (configurator)
- External control settings.
Opening the gate for new opportunities – Interactive power
An interactive power platform allows for on-the-fly re-allocation of resources.
This is analogue to server virtualisation: CPU’s are allocated dynamically to different tasks over time. The effects are
- Substantially fewer CPU’s needed for the same capacity and quality of service
- Importantly enhanced availability (built-in redundancy schemes)
- Planned response to faults.
Similarly, power converters in LivingPower may be re-allocated to different tasks over time. The results are
- Typically 1.5x-to-3x fewer power converters for the same capacity and service. Accordingly, substantial improvements in parameters like
- System energy efficiency (less converters = reduced idling losses)
The pre-set response to events allows for new-to-the-World features and advantages like change of configuration
- When no power input is present (for a UPS: when going into Battery Mode)
- When a certain event takes place (user defined – e.g. a relay signal, or a certain fault situation)
- When a new configuration is defined by a user (configurator).
This allows to adapt a system to faults, user commands etc.
As a curiosity, a system would be able to change its configuration when it looses e.g. a power module. This is also called self-healing.
A radical change: From Bookkeeping into Real Management
For years, the market has offered complex management software solutions.
And they have offered advanced socalled “configurators”, that basically act as a sales tool that can help to generate a shopping list.
However sophisticated, they all suffer from the mutual limitation that they have no ability to change or control the actual power hardware system itself – at the most it is a passive, one-way monitoring.
We are more ambitious: In our opinion, management is to make things happen that otherwise would not happen!
LivingPower offers a radical change: A dynamic interactive system that can change itself or be changed on-the-fly.
The list of results is infinite:
- Genuine simplicity
- Genuine configurator that is able to – yes – configure the solution
- On-demand change of architecture, capacity, functionality, priorities etc.
- Highly autonomous – no need for user interaction, if this is desired
- Performance improvements on all key parameters
- Cost effective
- Opens the door for external control and value creation (like server room mgmt.), thereby becoming an active member of the virtual environment
- Fault handling
- Ressource optimisation
- Safety schemes
- Energy cost optimisation
- Response to faults
- Corrective action prior to faults based on system metering/sensing – thereby avoiding the faults before they happen.
- The DNA of business model innovation – enabling new services and value streams – e.g.
- Remote, interactive support (like for off-shore wind turbines…)
- New functions, change of user interface, language etc.
- Data logging, preventive maintenance
- Becoming an active player in the energy system (offering grid services like regulating power)
- Simple, non-invasive setting up of the business that will break the barriers of decentralsing and de-regulating grid services.
LeanEco’s unique power platform is patented (WO 2010/038152 A1).